Monday 11 February 2013

Claire's Story

As part of LGBT History Month Belfast OutEast will be talking to a number of different openly LGBT role models in Northern Ireland and further afield. Today we caught up with Claire Shields, a 23 year old  successful manager with Barclay's Communications in Belfast and openly gay. We took the time to catch up with Claire and hear a bit more about her story.

1. Can you tell us, Claire a bit more a out your own story and what it was like for you when you came out? My coming out story was actually more of a personal challenge rather than an acceptance issue. I was the person who took it the worst, I didn't want to be gay, I wanted to be the same as all my friends. When I decided to tell my family I realised i was lucky. I have a very supportive extended family, I didn't have any problems telling anyone and no one gave me a hard time about it. My parents and siblings said they already had a hunch, but it doesn't change anything, they love me regardless.

2. From a personal perspective, have you ever experienced discrimination because of your sexuality, either in your work or in public?

I have never been discriminated against in work, partly because I have always worked in quite diverse environments with many other gay people. I have had the odd comment thrown at me regarding my appearance when I was younger. I was a bit of a Tom boy, and this was from other young people, however it didn't annoy me because I was happy with myself and wasn't interested in other people's opinions of how I decided to dress. As long as I was happy and not harming anyone I dressed as I pleased.


3. What issues affecting LGBT people are close to your heart and have you been involved in any campaigns or taken any action yourself to promote awareness of these issues?

I think that in order to mould a society into being truly accepting of the LGBT community changes needed to be made to the schooling system. I had a few issues in school with being gay because other people in my school thought this was strange and unacceptable and a reason to pick on me. Young people need to be taught that families and relationships can come in many forms and that it's not acceptable to treat gay people differently. If local politicians were prepared to target this area I would definitely be interested in getting involved.


4. What advice would you give to any young women who may be questioning their sexuality and don't know who to speak to?

There are some people out there who don't have supportive families or any close friends to be able to talk about their sexuality, and for these people I would suggest going on the Internet and doing some research into local resources in Northern Ireland specifically for LGBT people. There are a lot of community groups and workshops available for young people who don't have any closer support means and I would definitely love to see these services promoted more. Although I have had an easy and accepting time of it I know a few people who haven't, and they have had to turn to these groups for support, which they are extremely grateful for.


5. What do you think, if anything, needs to change in NI for the LGBT community and can you tell us what you would do to help affect that change?

I think a lot of changes need to be made in Northern Ireland to make it a more accepting and loving place for the LGBT people within it, a small but very influential change may be to promote LGBT staff in community services more in the annual gay pride parade. People need to see that LGBT people are around every day providing them with all the essential things that they require, and not just associating them with a colourful and flamboyant display of fun. I also think that churches and places of worship who support LGBT people need to express this more, as our community get a lot of grief from The majority of Christians in this country, and it would be nice to see a more positive opinion on the subject coming from this area.


Claire has been with her partner for 5 years and lives with her in Belfast. She is an avid fan of travelling and cycling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.